Monday, October 4, 2010

Chapter 5: The Joy of Tractions

Safety Tip:
Be Smart About The Traffic Laws: Traffic laws and traffic signage are supposed to be uniform, but they aren’t. It pays to be careful though because, according to the National Speedtrap Exchange, there are over 50,000 speed traps in the United States. If you are ticketed, don’t fight your battle on the roadside. If you truly feel exploited, you can challenge your ticket in court by yourself, with help from the National Motorists Association, or through an attorney. Just don’t let it spoil your vacation!
Chapter 5: The Joy of Tractions
First, let me admit that the title of the chapter is grossly misleading; there was nothing that remotely resembled joy associated with being in tractions.
After multiple trips for x-rays and scans the doctors were convinced that there were no other serious issues to be concerned about and began to pay closer attention to my right pelvis and leg. It was determined that the force during the impact of the crash had driven my right femur violently backward causing multiple fractures of the Ashtabula (hip socket). By now it had started to sink in that was a serious injury with possible long term implications.
“You will have to be scheduled for surgery to correct this,” Doctor Peck said, “but we must ensure that the femur is readjusted and not lodged into the hip socket. This means we will have to pull that bone back to its correct position”.
OK, I said, instinctively, not quite understanding what this entailed.
“You will need to be in tractions until the surgery,” he said then went on to explain the procedure of putting the leg in tractions.   “I will need to drill through your leg just below the knee in order to insert a rod that will hold the weights. It shouldn’t take long. Do you have any questions?
I couldn’t think of anything but the possible pain and said “No, nothing I can think of.”
“I will be back shortly and we will have you all set up by the time your room is assigned and prepared,” he said as he turned and walked out.
When the doctor returned with his equipment and began to apply the anesthesia to my leg, I looked at my wife who was now standing beside my bed looking as if she could already feel that pain of having a drill plowing through your leg.
“I’m not sure how much support I will be but I will be right here with you dear,” she said with a smile.
We laughed as the doctor’s cell phone started to buzz. He finished the last of the injections and answered the phone as the medication began to take effect on the leg. After a few minutes and a couple of brief tests, he positioned the metal drill bit against the outside of my right leg as I turned my head, clinched my teeth and braced as best I could for the pain.     
When the drill bit emerged through the left inside of my right leg the pain was excruciating and my loud outburst caused him to stop and reapply anesthesia to that area before forcing the drill completely through. He then quickly placed a metal pin that had a nylon cord through it into the hole, clamped the two ends together and said “there you are. You’re all set. We will not put weights on you until you are settled in a room.”  

Next Week: It took hours repair what it seconds break

4 comments:

  1. Are you kidding me? You were not fully anesthetized before he drilled? I can imagine (a little) the pain, only because when I had one of my emergency C-Sections, the doctor started to cut, and I said "Wow, that hurts" and she told me I couldn't feel the knife cutting. Oh YES I could! After a brief sharp/dull test, she realized I REALLY could feel the knife! More spinal...to no avail, general anesthesia.
    I give your wife credit for standing by your side and hopefully not passing out from your pain! Unbelievable. Hope it did the trick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pain was a surprise because it came near the end of the process. I really expected it to hurt from start to finish. The sound of the drill and watching the process helped to build the tension. I had started to relax and to think I was over reacting, then SURPRISE PAIN!
    So far, I think it worked well. I will not be sure until much later in the healing process.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow David, your writing sounds like it is out of a novel. It is unfortunate that you had to go through that! I can't believe you weren't fully numb before the drilling either! How painful!

    ReplyDelete