Safety Tip: Make adjustments for the light.
We lose a minute of daylight every day until the clocks are set back in October. And shorter days mean shorter light, making it more difficult to see pedestrians, cyclists, and children playing in the late afternoon. Be on the lookout. If night vision is a problem, adjust your driving times or find alternate, well–lit routes whenever possible. On the flip side, later sunrises mean drivers need to adjust to the brighter sun at different times of the morning. Always keep a pair of sunglasses in your car to shield your vision. Pull over completely if the sun's glare affects your ability to safely see ahead.
Six hours under the knife part I
Sunday morning the 15th of August proved to be a surreal time. Around seven AM, I woke to the sound of a medical assistant’s voice asking me if she could get vital sign readings. As she went about her task, I could see the morning light wash across the room through the thin curtains that covered the large window to my left. My room was positioned directly across from a nurse’s station and there was lots of movement and conversation as nurses went about their morning duties, recording information and discussing patients. I thought about the fact that I had slept well for the last few hours and was surprised at how comfortable my leg felt in the traction device.
“How are you feeling this morning? Is there anything I can get for you,” she politely asked as she completed her work.
“No, I’m fine,” I said.
“Breakfast should be here in a few minutes,” she said as she left the room rolling her equipment.
I had finished my breakfast of eggs, French toast, and juice, when my wife walked in carrying my laptop computer, some reading material, my cell phone charger and other comfort items.
“Good morning,” she said as she moved around the bed, leaned over and gave me a kiss. “How are you feeling? I brought your things.”
“Thanks, I feel OK,” I said.
The night before we had began to talk through the many challenges that now face us as a result of the current situation. Before she had finally left for the night, we discussed the fact that I needed to notify my job, my school and our auto insurance of the accident. We also had to cancel our reservations in Georgia and Florida for the upcoming week. For this I need a computer and email access. I had confirmed with one of the nurses that wireless access was available and free in the room. I would spend the day Sunday taking care of details and making arrangements for what looked to be an extended time away from work and school.
At the job I had taken ten days of leave starting the Thursday of the previous week. Our plans were originally to drive to Georgia where I would take care of some legal issues on Friday, finalize the preparation to rent out our house in Savannah then drive to Florida early Monday morning. However, due to requirements my wife had for her online class, our plans had changed to staying put for the weekend and driving straight to Florida early Monday morning.
“You will not be allowed to eat anything after midnight tonight in preparation for the surgery on Monday,” a nurse said as she checked my blood pressure and temperature. “I don’t have a scheduled time yet, but I will let you know as soon as I do,” she said.
On Monday, evening after fasting all day, I found out that the orthopedic surgeon, Dr. Stewart, still did not have a scheduled time for my surgery due to the large number of priority and previously scheduled operations. After some investigation my nurse was assured that my surgery was confirmed for Tuesday morning at seven AM. “I wish they had told me this earlier,” she said “let’s get you something to eat.”
Next week: Six hours under the knife part II
David, This class is coming to a close, but your story is not done! I hope you will continue to post as you have me totally addicted to this. Your writing has been very insightful and has really helped me to understand the emotional aspect of a traumatic situation. I pray that you are nearly fully recovered by now at least physically, but recognize that the emotional healing may take longer.
ReplyDeleteCarolyn
ReplyDeleteMy plan is to continue to post and I do appreciate your reading and provide feedback. I think this has become more that just and assignment for me, it has truly helped be to put into perspective and deal with this event. Our recovery is coming along well. My son got out of his cast last week. I am continuing physical therapy and look forward to being back on my feet again in the next few weeks. Emotionally, this is all new territory for me so I plan to take it day by day, so far so good.
David
David, Are you able to drive? Are you still in a cast or walking with assistance? I pray fro your healing...and I will follow you! carolyn
ReplyDeleteCarolyn
ReplyDeleteI am still not able to drive, however, I and walking with crutches. According to the doctor I should be able to begin putting weight on the affect leg in about 4 weeks. It's a slow process, but things are going well. Thanks for asking.