Safety TIP: Watch for frost.
Dipping nighttime temperatures bring frost to windshields and roads. Keep a windshield scraper and small broom in your car. Decelerate or gently brake when approaching bridges and overpasses; open spaces are more prone to collect frost on the roadway surface. Keep alert for shaded areas that could create black ice during early morning and evening hours.
Six hours under the knife Part II
I spent the day Monday busying myself making contact with people, explaining what had happened and my current situation. It seemed that every time I explained to someone how I had come to be where I was, the whole matter sounded more bazaar. The news spread among my family and friends, and I started to receive calls at a surprising rate from across the country, some from people I would have never expected. I am still amazed at how fast news can travel.
During the day Monday I got a roommate. The new tenant was a gentleman in his middle ages, who had been admitted for a back surgery. He was very talkative and livened up the room somewhat with his many conversations with his wife. Because there was only the privacy curtain and a few feet of space between his bed and my own, all conversations in the room became public knowledge. My roommate went to great lengths to express his displeasure in the outcome of his surgery. He explained that he had been less than convinced about the need to conduct the operation on his back but had agreed to the surgery on the recommendation of the doctor. After the operation, which failed to accomplish the desired goal, his doctor had recommended that possibly another surgery would be needed to correct the problem. While alluding to his strong faith in his religion, he preached to his wife over and over again that he had no desire to allow another operation. “I am satisfied with what I have,” he said. “I am not going to go through this again!” The man’s wife, who was very soft spoken, never said much but tried to console her husband saying the doctor had done the best he could.
The day went by quickly and I found myself meditating on the planned events of the next. My wife left shortly after dinner with plans to be back at the hospital prior to the time I was scheduled to be moved for surgery. I thought of the fact that I had only had one surgery in my life, about five years ago when I ruptured the Achilles tendon in the same leg. This operation was performed as an outpatient procedure and had only taken about an hour. I recovered at home, and then resumed my daily activities with the aid of a support orthopedic boot. The recovery was relatively quick and I had not thought about it again until now. However, this felt a great deal more severe. I was not sure what to expect. I ended the evening with a prayer and drifted off to sleep.
At about 5:45 AM Tuesday morning I found myself alert and anxious. The nurse had been in for early morning vital readings and reminded me of the planed operation. She explained that the transport team would have someone down to get me soon. I looked at the wall clock and wondered if my wife would arrive before I was moved out to begin preparations. The pace of the morning’s activity seemed to carry an added intensity and I found myself developing feelings of anxiety as time seemed to speed by. Then like a breath of fresh air my wife stepped into my room saying, “Good morning.”
The transport team arrived about 6:30 AM, and I was moved to the operating room for pre-op. In the pre-op area I met with the anesthesiologist, the doctor and some members of the operating team. The doctor confirmed what and where surgery was to take place and actually marked his initials on my right leg to confirm that he would operate in the correct area. My last pre-op memories were of making small talk with my wife. With her standing beside my bed, we held hands and said a quite prayer.
Next week: Recovery begins
David, It is wonderful to see that you believe in the power of prayer! We have an extensive prayer chain at our church and have many friends and family moved on/off the list. It is also comforting to know that you had emotional support from other people across the country. Your wife continues to impress me with her apparent stoicism. Will keep an eye on your blog. Carolyn
ReplyDeleteCarolyn
ReplyDeleteYes, prayer has and always will be the corner stone of my life. The response of many of friends surprised me and I am very touched by the amount of support that was demonstrated. This goes to show that we never fully know the impact we have had on others in life or the impact they can have on us. I see it all as blessings. I tell my wife often how much of a blessing she is in my life. She just laughs at me.
David