Sunday, November 14, 2010

The Long Road to Recovery

Safety Tip
Driving in Snow and Ice
The best advice for driving in bad winter weather is not to drive at all, if you can avoid it. Don't go out until the snow plows and sanding trucks have had a chance to do their work, and allow yourself extra time to reach your destination.   If you must drive in snowy conditions, make sure your car is prepared and that you know how to handle road conditions.  It's helpful to practice winter driving techniques in a snowy, open parking lot so you're familiar with how your car handles. Consult your owner's manual for tips specific to your vehicle.
The Long Road to Recovery
After a few days in the hospital it really began to dawn on me that it would be some time before things got back to normal.  My supervisor at work had arrangement to put me on extended medical leave and I had gotten approval of extensions to turn in work at a later date from my professors at both the online courses I was taking.  In the moments of solitude I tried to imagine how all this would turn out.  I had canceled the vacation plans, my son was banged up with an arm injury,  I had just come through a very serious operation and it seemed that my life had gone into a tail spend.  I decided to let go of everything and just focus on my health.
My supervisor checked in with me and asked when was a good time to come by and visit. I told him anytime was as good as the next because it looked as if I was not going anywhere anytime soon.  Two days after surgery a soldier from my officer stopped by to visit.  He was not sure who I was but he was directed to visit and get an assessment because he lived in the area. I recognized him as a fellow office worker who had helped me setup my computer the week before. We talked about the accident and the operation until my family arrived.  The young man asked if there was anything he could do to help, politely said goodbye and left.
I enjoyed the afternoon with my family. My son, in addition to having his arm in a sling, was walking with a crutch due to an apparent injury to his leg. The doctors said that the leg was not fractured but he was still in some pain.  We sat around and talked about everything.  We discussed my daughters’ requirements for college and issues she was having with finance. After several hours my family left and I again contemplated my status. I was frustrated by the fact that I could not see past this situation. I had no reference to gauge what this would do to my life or what my physical state would be in the aftermath. I recall thinking that I had no control of what was happening.  I felt I was just a pawn in this huge game waiting for the next move. 
The next day I met the physical and occupational therapists. They came in with a morning nurse, introduced themselves and informed me that they were to help me get back on my feet.  “The sooner the better,” one lady said.   Initially I thought they were out of their minds. I had just gone through two of the most traumatic events of my life and my optimism was at a record low.   However, deep inside of me I knew that if there was any chance of emerging out of this dark episode life had delivered me, I would have to fight. So that’s what I decided to do.   

1 comment:

  1. David, It is so interesting to read this from the patients perspective. I try hard as an OT to be sensitive to my patient's needs, but it is so hard to have to jump right into treatment. I hope your therapy experiences were as positive as they could be. Carolyn

    ReplyDelete