Safety Tip
Holiday traffic often presents additional challenges on the road. Check your emergency kit. Contents should include: battery powered radio, flashlight, blanket, jumper cables, fire extinguisher, first aid kit, bottled water, non-perishable foods, maps, tire repair kit and flares. Be aware of changes in weather. Weather conditions across the U.S. will be changing - especially during early mornings and evenings with the cold. Watch for ice, snow and other weather related obstacles. Keep your eyes on the road. Distracted driving is a major cause of traffic accidents. Even just two seconds of distraction time doubles the chances of an accident. Use your cell phone when stopped and never text while driving. Leave early and avoid risks. Leave early so you won't be anxious about arriving late and to accommodate delays. Road conditions may change due to inclement weather or traffic congestion. Remember these safety steps and ensure a safe and enjoyable holiday season.
One Small Step
Smiling and cheerful the occupational therapist returned to my room the next morning.
“Well are you ready,” she asked with a smile. “Are you ready to try walking?”
I mustered as much enthusiasm as I could and said “Why not?”
“I’m going to be right here to help you.” She said.
At that moment I was filled with both excitement and fear. I was excited because this marked the turn that would hopefully lead me back to a solid state of health. I felt fear because I knew there would be pain involved - lots of it!
“Honey, are you ready for this?” my wife asked nervously.
“May as well be,” I said.
The therapist moved around the bed as she spoke. She positioned the walker she had brought in near my bed and ensured that the IV lines were free and clear of obstructions as I prepared moved.
“We are going to take this nice and slow,” she said. “Do you think you can stand?”
“I can try,” I said.
We decided that it would be best to work my way off the right side of the bed and I started shifting in that direction. I quickly realized that I had very little control of the muscles from my right pelvis down and every movement resulted in jolts of pain.
“Let me help you,” she said as she supported and guided the injured led over the side of the bed. “We are going to take it very slow, OK”.
Using the hanging trapeze over the bed, I worked my good leg and the rest of my body to a sitting position on the bed’s edge. I was surprised at the amount of effort it had taken to do this normally simple movement.
“Ok, we are just going to stand up if you could,” the therapist said, “if you can’t that’s alright. Let me know when you are ready.” She explained how to grip the walker and support my weight with my arms and the good leg. I noticed that my fear was starting to dissipate. I had felt the pain and I knew there would be more, but I also felt that I was making progress and the feeling of accomplishment was motivating.
“I’m ready,” I said.
She positioned herself to help steady the walker and support me as I lifted myself off the bed to a full standing posture.
“Can you take a few steps?” she asked excitedly as she praised my accomplishment. “Let’s try to walk to the closet door if you can”.
“I think I can do that,” I replied.
Using my newly acquired skills, I slid the walker forward, lifted myself with my arms and stepped forward with my good leg. Making it to the closet, I reversed the motion to get myself back to the bed. As I eased myself back to the sitting position I endured the pains of moving the injured side of my body and listened as the therapist explained the techniques of extending the leg out and supporting by body weight with my arms as I sat. Once on the bed and feeling as if I had just completed an intense workout session, I turned and looked at my wife with an exhausted smile and said, “I did it.” She quietly smiled back saying, “You did it baby.”
Next week: Rehabilitation 101
Oh man...I feel your pain. Must have felt like a marathon!
ReplyDelete